Somewhere along the lines, it became uncool to wear rec specs (goggles) in sports. Sometime in the mid to late 1990’s people must have made an announcement that people who were them were not with the hip crowd. Well I think that is complete mularkey. I mean, they chose that lifestyle. Wearing goggles is a lifestyle choice. This article pays tribute to the men who wore them proud and wore them night-in, night-out.
1. Eric Dickerson. This famous running back to drawn the football for the Colts and Rams like no other in his day. He would run through the line and burst with speed to the outside, evading would be tacklers all without a care in the world that someone just might try to gauge his eye. Eric will go down as one of the best running backs in NFL history, and the only one I can remember with awesome rec specs.
2. Chris Sabo. Played along with other great Reds in Cincinnati like Jose Rijo and Barry Larkin in the late 80’s and early 90’s. Sabo was a terror on the basepaths, known for his hustle more than anything. As Sabo stub bases, he never had to worry about loose dirt getting in his eyes as he sacrificed the rec specs with authority.
3. Kurt Rambis. Another athlete who will never be asked for his lack of hustle, Rambis ran the floor as hard as anyone the Lakers ever fitted up. If a loose ball was on the floor, Rambis would hit the deck knowing that it was his ball to lose. Finishing his career just shy of 5,000 rebounds, Kurt never worried about a flailing elbow as he was protected with the best rec specs money could buy.
4. While we are talking about famous LA Lakers, who can forget James Worthy and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar? These two dominating players will won several championships with the Lake Show while wearing rec specs as well. Both are NBA legends, but more known for their skill than their rec specs.
5. Horace Grant. A special player for the dynasty Chicago Bulls that featured the likes of Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen, Horace was a tenacious defender and rec-spec wearing threat anywhere on the court. Along with the forwarded Lakers, he holds multiple championship rings.
I go to sleep each night having that one creative youngster out there who dons rec specs sticks with the program instead of opting for a trendy lasik surgery or something else that would make him shed the goggles. Rec specs are a part of history and the players I have named are all famous for wearing them.